Saturday, January 19, 2013

what happened?

Here is the short version, with my best attempts at not including my feelings, opinions, or even memories.  My attempt here is to tell what the injuries were.  Disclaimer:  there are several things that I either misunderstood or weren't true. I'm telling what I've been told and do not claim that everything here is 100% accurate, like numbers of surgeries or I may have some details about what injuries effect what confused.  That's why I'm trying to keep this as basic as possible.  I can answer questions that others or I have later.
I woke up in the hospital.  I had tubes coming out and going in to me everywhere. I could not speak. At one point I was strapped down to the bed for pulling things out that were keeping me alive.
I finally came to find out that I had survived an atlanto-occipital dislocation.  My skull had become dislocated from my spine.  This is not the same thing as breaking my neck.  The analogy would be the difference between breaking your arm and dislocating your shoulder. Only I dislocated my head.  I had also blown out the back 20% of my hip, and being on the borderline for surgery, it was decided to let it and my broken ankle heal without surgery.  I had a trach for awhile, but it was removed before I left the hospital.  FYI, I now am trach dependent. I had around 13 surgeries in a week.  I had pneumonia, my organs began shutting down, and my brain was bleeding.  Eventually they inserted a feeding tube.  Right away, I believe the day after the accident, my skull was fused to my first vertebrae, my C1, down to C3.  Most cervical fusions do not involve the skull.  I was placed in a halo, which attached to a plastic chest piece that was lined with wool -- it was not removable.  In fact, after they decided they needed to place the tube in my stomach they had to have some metal electric sawed off the vest and they had to do it with me in the piece.  I had severe nerve damage, including damage to most of my cranial nerves.  Eventually, my eyes crossed,  a sign of optic nerve damage, and I had double vision. My trachea clamped shut.
I was in the ICU for weeks, then moved immediately to the rehabilitation floor for strengthening to get ready to leave the hospital.  I would only be able to learn to walk again. Nerve damage is temperamental and unpredictable, and nothing could be done with my neck for 3-4 months. I'd be released from the hospital the end of February.
I'd be refused

No comments:

Post a Comment