Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Anniversary

The other day was the 6 year anniversary of the accident that landed me in the hospital for just over a month. I'm guessing that todayish would be the anniversary of one of my first memories, but considering the amount of drugs that they were pumping through my system, who knows what order my memories actually happened in? ;^)
I know I couldn't speak - by the time I left the hospital I still had just a whisper - whether there was a tube down my throat or I was (later) teaches and had vocal cord paralysis. I would try to communicate by writing, which wasn't always the easiest. There were times that I was strapped down, because I'd gain consciousness, freak out and try yanking out all the tubes, so trying to write out something wasn't ideal. Or when I was so drugged up I thought I was writing letters but all that came out were dots, or I'd pass back out in the middle of a word.
I always had odd requests. I remember my mom needed to go to the store because I'd run out of paper, she asked if I needed anything and I told her I needed eye cream.... Seriously half dead in the ICU and I was worried about wrinkles! Or, I guess I thought they weren't feeding me because it would irritate internal wounds, so I asked my mom to ask 'the lady' if I could have some mashed potatoes with just butter, no salt.
Usually the anniversary has a deeper impact... This year I'm so consumed by other things I haven't really had the time or energy to reflect... I guess that's why I've chosen to start 'writing it out' now.

No comments:

Post a Comment