Saturday, February 23, 2013

It's all relative...

First, I'm so annoyed with myself for not writing for 20 days. Especially since in the last 3 weeks a perfect example of when I use this cliche phrase. It's always scary when you find out a friend or family member is sick. The scariest part of any injury or illness is waiting to find out what it is that's wrong.
A few weeks ago, a friend was in the hospital, having all sorts of tests run, with a wide array of possible diagnoses on the table. I won't say much about specifics, but I will say that the possibilities ranged from infection to cancer. This girl's family... I call her mom "mom" and unofficially adopted her grandma at the hospital. She's been around, in my life, some off and on, for 10 years, so before the accident. As with most of my friends, we lost touch occasionally and usually go pretty significant periods of time without seeing each other. But there's no doubt that we'll always be there for each other, and with our almost parallel lives and our understanding of so many events in each others' lives, she really is my best friend, whether we see each other or speak often or not.
So, I explain this much to you in hopes you can understand the torment, sitting in the hospital room for hours waiting to hear what was going on. Because the possibilities were such a big extreme, there were moments of desperate fear, the fear of losing one of the only people in my life that understands me. And then, in the midst of tests and blood draws and CT scans, another of my fears -- the comparison to what I've been through.
Yes, my injuries, the numerous surgeries and the daily residuals suck, but that's only the worst that I have been through, and you can't truly understand that. I truly and whole-heartedly believe that it is all relative. My fear, my fear, my fear come true that maybe friends will avoid talking to me when they need a friend to avoid feeling like, burdening me, or whatever, or by comparing their problem to what they think I've been thru...
Thankfully, my friend was treated and released and we have many more years ahead of us to fulfill our dreams...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment